I was very much sleeping when the most lovely Blogger “Jessica from Chronically Vintage” bestowed the Liebster blog Award onto myself a couple of months ago. Thank you Jessica for doing this, such a fun idea 🙂
What is said award? In the words of Jessica herself …”general premise being that the person who receives it answers a set of questions from the previous recipient (the person who in turn gave it to them), and then creates the same number of questions to be answered by those that they pass it along to. This is done as a way of both getting to know your fellow bloggers better and also letting your readers in on more about yourself, your blogs, and your thoughts on various topics.”
Here are the questions Jessica asked and here are my responses:
1. What are three of your favourite things about blogging?
- Sharing my love of vintage with others who share the same passion
- Meeting other wonderful bloggers and readers (that has been truly a wonderful surprise)
- Learning as I go. I love the research portion of my blog as history has always been something I loved.
2. What kind of sagely advice would you give to a blogger who is just starting their first ever blog today?
Make sure you are blogging about something you just 100% love or you won’t stick to it. I have tried to blog before about..I don’t even know what and I think I posted 3 blog posts and that was it. Now that I have found my passion, blogging is easy and I look forward to putting each post together.
3. Do you find yourself drawn more towards creating word heavy or image heavy posts, or do you prefer a fairly even mix of the two in each post?
I am not a writer and I will never pretend that I am. If you have read even one or two sentences from my blog, you might cringe at my use of the word “Awesome” all the time and how I spell “alot” like that lol! So I try to make my posts a nice even mix of writing and pictures but sometimes if I’m feeling lazy that week I will lean towards a picture heavy post.
4. What is your favourite ten year span (note, this doesn’t have to be a specific decade, such as the 1930s, you could pick 1925-1935) of all time from a fashion standpoint?
I use to think it was the 1950’s(1949-1959) but lately I find myself going full on 1940’s with my wardrobe and even my blog posts. I just love the way that women were able to make their clothes so beautiful during a time of war and rationing. Truly awe-inspiring.
5. If you could go on a shopping spree (and money was no object), what are five vintage wardrobe items that you’d buy today?
- Hands down in a second a “Alfred Shaheen” dress from the 1950s. If I could find a sarong then I would buy that but I won’t be picky
- A vintage mexican skirt. They are so pretty!
- Bakelite, Bakelite, Bakelite…oh and more Bakelite
- 1950s Lucite Purse
- 1940s mint condition dresses..gowns preferably 🙂
6. What are five of your favourite savory foods, and five of your favourite sweet ones?
- Grilled Cheese
- Poutine (it’s a Canadian thing)
- All Dressed chips
- hot dogs
- I’m not much of a sweet person, but once in a while I crave ice cream and pumpkin pie
7. What’s your favourite place you’ve ever lived? What are some of the reasons that makes this spot so near and dear to your heart?
I have only lived in two places. My home town of Sarnia and now Toronto.
I love Toronto for so many reasons. The fact that it is a huge city so there is always something to do. The live music scene here is incredible and super awesome for a Lindy hopper like myself. The food options! I can eat authentic Vietnamese food for breakfast, Ethiopian for lunch and Dim Sum for dinner and never have to walk more than 3 blocks from my house, amazing!
8. If you could go on an all-expense paid vacation for two weeks to anywhere in the world, where would you go and what vintage clothes would you bring with you?
Tahiti and I would bring that Alfred Shaheen dress I just bought with the imaginary funds I have above lol! 🙂 Also my vintage bathing suit and every single Tiki/Hawaiian outfit I own (tops, skirts and dresses).
9. Currently, what are your three favourite colours? Do you wear these colours often or simply enjoy them in general?
Blue, Red and Green. I do wear them often, finally got out of that all black period.
10. If you could attend a concert from any musician/band throughout all of time, who would you pick to see live?
I would love to see Glen Miller Live during the 1940s as it was his music that got me interested in Lindy Hop . It would be truly wonderful to be able to stand/or dance on the dance floor with his big band just pounding out the tunes.
11. What’s your favourite time of the day (morning, dusk, etc) and why?
I like Mornings because of the excitement that the day can bring/will bring.
Now for the bloggers I’m passing this award onto…
Shermy from Shermette
Wendi from Hauté Rockabilly Fashionista
Here are your questions ladies, Enjoy!:
1. Why did you start blogging?
2. If you could only keep one vintage item that you own what would it be?
3. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live and why?
4. What person in history would you go back in time to meet if you have a time machine and why?
5. What has been the hardest thing about running a blog? ex: time to write etc.
6. Do you wear vintage/reproduction to work everyday?
7. What is the one activity that you want to learn/do etc. that you just have not gotten around to doing yet?
8. Favorite genre of music? Least favorite genre of music?
9. Favorite designer,vintage or current?
10. How did you come up with the name of your blog?
11. Favorite city you have gone vintage shopping too?
There you have it dear readers, hope you enjoyed learning a bit about me and thank you again Jessica for this fun award 🙂